Installation of above- or under-cabinet lighting can add ambiance to your home or business and enhance illumination. There are many lighting fixture style options to choose from, as well as applications. Lighting can be used to visually enhance a kitchen, living room, dining room, bedroom, or even outdoors! But there are so many options, how do you choose? Our qualified electricians can help you make decisions in your best interest. For instance, you have to think about color, brightness, and accessibility. Do you need a dimmer? Likewise, how about a timer? Planning is a snap when you clue your electrician in to what you’d like to have done.
Here are the main types of lighting installation options to select from:
- Slim T5 Fluorescent Strips
- Ideal for spanning the different dimensions of the spaces beneath or above cabinets
- Great spread of light
- Easy to change bulbs
- Puck LED Lights
- Beautiful, small, and great for illuminating a particular spot
- Usually only come in 3 colors: soft/warm white, cool white, and daylight
- Not very difficult to replace one puck
- LED Strips
- Similar in style of the slim fluorescent strips but use the LED bulbs which have a longer life span
- May be programmable and dimmable
- Not difficult to replace one
- LED Rope, Tape or Ribbon
- Ribbons are extremely thin, making them easy to install. The tape on the back, however, can peel in a short amount of time if not of a good quality
- Visually discreet
- Comes in a variety of color and may be dimmable
- Flexible, which will help in custom designed areas or areas with a lot of corners/angles
- Many have programmable remotes
- Can’t replace just one if the light shorts
- Mini LEDs
- Recessed for discretion
- Great for illuminating a small, direct area or for tight spaces
- Replaceable, but could be difficult depending on the location
Applications of above- or under-cabinet lighting
Lighting is something that adds value to your home or business. Because it makes you feel good when you walk in, or because you’re selling your home, you’re adding to its’ value. Moreover, this type of lighting can draw people into your business. Kitchens can have both above- and under-cabinet lighting. In your living room, lighting can accentuate your TV, or the spaces in your curio. In multi-floor homes, your stairs could be illuminated for safety. Likewise, bedrooms with walk-in closets could have each shelf illuminated.
The commercial applications are endless. Because most businesses have large windows, there is prime real estate for some eye-catching lighting. It should be noted that “under-cabinet” doesn’t always mean under a cabinet. It’s a catch-all for recessed lighting that isn’t permanently installed in your ceiling. And “under” (or above) cabinet lighting can be mounted in hundreds of positions. To clarify, this type of lighting is usually installed after a home is built or remodeled… a sort of afterthought.
Above and under-cabinet lighting will always be determined on a case-to-case basis, as there are many factors involved. For more information on one of the many great ideas for adding or repairing above- or under-cabinet lighting to your desired space, contact us today and speak to one of our representatives to discuss the best ideas to help save you money and enhance the ambiance in your space. Your call is a free consultation!