If your home was built prior to the 1950’s there may be a chance cloth wiring was installed in your home as it dates back to the late 1800’s when Thomas Edison made his patent and introduced his invention. It was first known as “The Electric Conductor”. Edison described his invention to be a great insulator, waterproof and fireproof. Cloth wiring was used to cover the naked wires as a sheath to help prevent electrical shocks and/or fires, it became problematic as time passed.
Cloth wiring poses several issues such as potentially containing asbestos and insulation degradation. Over time the cloth sheath would become brittle and crack. This cracking would cause exposure of the wires and then pose electrical danger as the bare wires when touched can cause electrical shock or electrocution, and when in contact with other objects can pose the risk of causing a fire.
If your home or soon to be home has cloth wiring and you have questions regarding how to address the issue, please do not hesitate to give us a call today and one of our professional electricians can discuss your concerns with you and/or schedule an appointment for an electrical evaluation. Have peace of mind knowing your home’s electrical system is safe.
For more information on cloth wiring, click the link below or call us today and speak with one of our professional electricians for help about your cloth wiring concerns. This article has information on cloth wiring under “rag wire” with a picture for visual example.
For more information on cloth wiring, click here.
We look forward to providing you with excellent service!